The Eric Arthur Gallery

The Eric Arthur Gallery is located on the main public level of the John H. Daniels Faculty of Architecture, Landscape, and Design at 230 College Street. The gallery serves the school, the University, and the public. Designed by Toronto-based Kohn Shnier Architects and opened in 2001, the gallery consists of three spaces, including a dramatic bay window that cantilevers from the historic architecture building and overlooks College Street.


The gallery’s mission is to present professionally curated exhibitions of architecture, landscape architecture, urban design, and allied design fields. Most exhibitions present work of international significance while some focus more on national or local subject matter. Periodically, faculty and student exhibitions are held.

Named in honour of Eric Ross Arthur (1898 – 1982), an architect-educator who was involved in both the promotion of contemporary architecture and the preservation of important landmarks in Canada, the gallery serves as a reminder of Professor Arthur’s influential personality in the University of Toronto School of Architecture – from his arrival in 1923 until his retirement in 1966. The inaugural exhibition in the gallery, in 2001-02, was titled Eric Arthur: Practical Visions and celebrated Eric Arthur’s many accomplishments.